Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Mísia

Last night I took Mike and JD to see the stunning Mísia at Madrid's Teatro Albéniz.
We listened to two sets: traditional fado songs and her "Drama Box" music which included more contemporary fados, popular Spanish songs a la Almodóvar, boleros, and tangos.
In a word: tremendous.

At intermission, I asked JD what he thought and with a slight hesitation he took a drag off his cigarette and asked "how did you hear about her?" It took me a few minutes to recall where or how or when the name Mísia first made its way into my plane of view, making its way past my otherwise touch and go, oblivious and mostly stunted relation to the world. I couldn't remember, and still can't. Not exactly. But I do know that whatever song I first listened to, I knew I had to have more.

In a recent NPR interview, when asked about her love for fado music Mísia replied: "For me it is the only way to be alive, and to put outside what I have inside. The only way of... cleaning my ghosts and shadows."

It's amazing to me how we like things before we even understand why or how. I only remember that this music was powerful, overwhelmingly so, the first time I listened to it and that it resonated with me somehow back then...and still does now.

Melancholic. Dramatic. Intense. Glorious beyond belief.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jon Snyder said...

aw jeah, bb!

twas the second part of the show that awed me so. thanks for the concierto, and for the great digs on the fado, babe. i was most excited to see you return to a state of pony pining adolescence at intermission. loved it! and the show!

bessous

2:06 PM  
Blogger Nicholas Theisen said...

At first I thought you were talking about the Japanese R&B singer, then I realized I had no idea what you were talking about.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Patty said...

thanks jd! glad you could come to the show!!!

and nicholas, yes she shares a name with some japanese singer which i had no idea about until i did a google image search for photos to post. i usually have no idea what you're talking about, so now you know kind of how i feel. HO! (kidding) no seriously, you should check her out, it's all about portuguese poetry and despair. you might really dig it...

tally ho gentlemen!

5:29 AM  
Blogger nose_bleeder said...

she looks stunning!

haha i got this account to stalk u :P

not really, i found a lot of cool music blogs on blogger... i was really itchy to comment :P

10:27 AM  
Blogger Patty said...

aletheuo!!! great to see you here sugah! ;D

6:53 AM  
Blogger Nicholas Theisen said...

pacchan, is there a particular album you'd recommend? it'll basically cost me an arm and a leg to import any of her albums, so I'd like something relatively representative.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Andreea said...

I saw Misia in concert back in 1999 in Ann Arbor. Her music made me cry.

2:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home